You have the 7 tips to get you started but before we go into detail into each one, it is first imperitive that you know how to treat a low blood sugar. Let’s review how we define a low blood glucose value. It is:
- Any blood glucose value less than 90mg/dl with symptoms
- Any blood glucose value less than 80md/dl with or without symptoms.
So, what are symptoms of a low blood glucose?
Everyone reacts differently but you may:
- Feel irritable, confused or dizzy
- Have extreme hunger
- Be nervous or jittery
- Have cold, clammy, wet skin and/or excessive sweating
- Have a rapid heart rate
- Have blurry vision, a headache, poor coordination or feel weak
In severe hypoglycemia you can even lose consciousness and have seizures or convulsions. As a result, it is important to prevent a severe low blood glucose (BG) reaction. To prevent a low BG make sure to check your blood glucose frequently and if you have any of the above symptoms you will follow the 15 Rule:
- Check your blood glucose (you determine it is low)
- Eat 15 grams of carbohydrate
- Wait 15 minutes
- Re-check your blood glucose
- If you still have a low blood glucose value, go back to step two. Continue this process until your BG is back into an acceptable range.
I hope that clarifies the 15 Rule. Stay tuned for great 15 gram carbohydrate snacks!